Northampton Public Schools Early Childhood Information
The Early Childhood Center is located at 40 Main Street, Suite 206, in Florence. Our mission is to support the families and young children of Northampton. Please call us at 413-585-1471 or email email@example.com with any questions – We are here for you and your children!
During the school year, we hold daily playgroups Mon-Fri in Northampton and Florence, we run the ParentChild+ Home Visiting Program, we support parents looking for childcare and the Northampton Public Preschool through the Preschool Partnership, we help with screening and supporting children who are referred for evaluation for special services, and we hold parenting and family fun workshops and events. During the summer, we run other playgroups and continue to support parents in any way we can.
The Northampton Public Schools Preschool offers a half day (morning or afternoon) integrated preschool program for 3- and 4-year old children who live in Northampton, Florence, and Leeds. There are limited 4-day full school day spaces, chosen by lottery. Click here for our 2022-2023 Preschool Overview.
Basics: The Early Childhood Program follows the Northampton Public School calendar.
- 4-day 1/2 day program either am or pm: 2.5 hours/day
- 4-day full school day program (4 year old only): 6 hours/day
We have preschool programs at both Bridge Street School and Leeds Elementary School. The program includes children who are typically developing as well as those with special needs. The Northampton integrated preschool setting allows all children to participate to their fullest capacities in the mainstream of education. Special support services are provided within the classroom as needed.
Students whose street addresses place them at either Bridge Street School or Jackson Street School for K-5 attend the BSS preschool program; students whose street addresses place them at either Leeds Elementary School or RK Finn Ryan Road Elementary School for K-5 attend the Leeds preschool program.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions and to find out how to apply. You can download our Preschool Application below.
1. For a preschool application, please email email@example.com or click on the link below.
If our program is full, children are placed on a waitlist based on when we receive the application.
- NPS Public Preschool Application & Screening Consent for 2022-2023
- Solicitud de preescolar público de NPS y consentimiento para la prueba inicial para 2022-2023
2. Area Preschool Options
There are many wonderful preschool options in Northampton, with excellent long-standing daycare and preschool programs. For a list, including pointers to home daycares and how to apply for daycare vouchers, please click here to download Preschool Options (English) or Opciones Preescolar (Espanol).
Our Preschool Partnership Coordinator Laura Frogameni is well-connected with these programs and has grant funds to support local families with a limited number of subsidized placements in our partnered community preschools. Please contact her by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Our NPS Kindergarten Program
Please click this link for details about our Kindergarten Program and registration process. If you have a child to register for kindergarten please call Jennifer Towler at 413-587-1328 or email her at email@example.com.
4. School-Year Morning Playgroups — click here for Daily Playgroup update/signup form
- Northampton Parents Center (during the school year): Mon-Thurs 9:30-11:30. For locations and signup for 2022-2023, please follow this link: Sign Up for Playgroups. You can also check their Facebook page: FB Northampton Parents Center. For more information, please contact Director Swansea Benham Bleicher at firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: www.northamptonparentscenter.org
- Hadley Family Playgroup of the Northampton/Hadley Family Connection: Friday 9:30-11:30 INDOORS. Children’s Room at the new Hadley Public Library at 50 Middle Street, Hadley. For more information, please contact Facilitator Mandy Gerry at email@example.com.
- Meadowbrook Playgroup of the Northampton/Hadley Family Connection: Fridays 9:30-11:30 indoors. Meadowbrook Community Room, 491 Bridge Rd, Florence. For more information, please contact Facilitator Ashley Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Northampton/Hadley Family Connection (CFCE)
The Northampton/Hadley Family Connection (located at the Northampton Early Childhood Center) supports services and activities for young children and families throughout the city and our wider community. This program directly funds and staffs groups and activities on this page— the ParentChild+ program, the Northampton Parents Center, and the Hadley Family Playgroup — as well as organizes Parent Cafes, informational workshops, and the Week of the Young Child celebration in April. We support transitions to kindergarten. During the school year, we also provide parent workshops on a variety of topics. Parent Workshop Topics have included: Routines, Transitions, Sleep, Behavior Management Strategies, and Eating. We are funded by a CFCE (Coordinated Family and Community Engagement) grant from the Massachusetts Dept. of Early Education and Care.
For more information, please check out our website at northamptonfamilies.com, or email our CFCE Coordinator Ashley Miller at email@example.com. To sign up for our mail letters, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out this form and email it to us.
6. ParentChild+ Home Visiting Program (PC+)
A home-based literacy, school readiness, and parenting program for Northampton and Hadley parents and their toddlers and preschoolers, which promotes learning and language development through the use of books and toys. ParentChild+ emphasizes verbal interaction and learning through play. Home Visitors help you to realize your role as your child’s first and most important teacher. They generate excitement about learning at home through toys, books, and play.
Did you know:
- you are your child’s first and most important teacher
- your home is your child’s first classroom
- your child learns best through play
- the more you read, speak, or sing to your child the better he or she will do in school
For more information, contact Mandy Gerry by emailing her at email@example.com .
7. Screenings for Child Development
Are you concerned about your child’s development? Northampton offers monthly developmental screenings for children 3-5 years old. Please contact Sara Allium, Preschool Evaluation Team Liaison, to set up an appointment by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. Join our Mailchimp Mailing List!
We send out regular emails alerting you to fun events and parenting support in the area for families with small children. If you would like to join our email list, or have an event you’d like local families to know about, please send us an email at email@example.com, or click here to fill out the form in English or en Espanol and either mail or email that to us.