Welcome to our Kindergarten Information Page
Kindergarten Information Meetings:
Each winter we will host kindergarten Information Nights. These events will be hosted via Zoom and will provide an introduction to each of our four elementary school principals, kindergarten teachers and other staff who are part of our kindergarten team. The topics we’ll cover will be our play-based curriculum, a typical school day, parent and family involvement, when to register and transition activities for rising kindergarten students. We will provide a presentation to cover these topics and then will open the meeting for parent questions. The meeting will be recorded and posted on this page afterwards and the slideshow will also be available to review. Videos, highlighting our kindergartens, are available at the bottom of this page.
Information Meeting via Zoom for Parents of rising kindergarten children
Dates: December 1, 2021 at 5:30-6:30 pm (via Zoom) OR January 20, 2022 at 5:30-6:30 pm (via Zoom)
To receive the Zoom Link & Password, you’ll need to sign up by following the link below. This requires creating a Sign-up Genius account which is free and easy to set up. Choose the event date that works for your schedule. We’ll send you a reminder along with the Zoom Link and Password. Questions? Call (413) 587-1471
Sign up now to secure the date (we’ll email you the Zoom link closer to the event date) https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0c45a5a823a2f4c61-kindergarten
Below are the slideshows for the December 1, 2021 kindergarten informational presentation. We hope you find this overview helpful. Parents are encouraged to attend the January 20, 2022 repeated event if they missed the first one.
Is your child on our list?
Our rising kindergarten list comes from information in the street listing census that all residents are asked to fill out annually, as well as area preschool programs. If you are new to town, did not fill out this census, or have a child who is not currently in a local preschool program, you can email the registrar to make sure you are signed up to receive mailings: firstname.lastname@example.org
School Assignment Zones (which school will my child attend?)
Kindergarten Registrations will take place over two weeks from February 28-March 11, 2022. Children who turn 5-years old by August 31, 2022 can enroll. We will have one session at each school and parents can attend any of the sessions (and your child will be enrolled into the school that you are zoned for based on your home address). It is important to enroll your student during this time so that we can plan for the right number of classes and guarantee a space is available for all of our students.
If you cannot make any of these events, I will have additional appointment slots for you to meet with me in the Central School District Offices downtown. I will post my calendar link shortly.
Public School enrollment is a one-time process that involves filling out a packet of forms and providing documentation. The packets are available to download and fill out on your computer below. Or you can call or email and I will mail you a packet. Parents should fill out the forms packet and print it out and bring it with them to the Registration Session along with the required documents. We will make copies of your items – and you will keep all of your originals.
Parents of children who attend Bridge Street or Leeds Preschool or who receive special education services are already registered. The school nurses will need your child’s 5-year check up summary when it’s available. Questions? Call Jennifer at (413) 587-1328 or email: email@example.com
|Registration Session 1||Monday February 28th from 2:30 pm – 5:30 pm||Location: Jackson Street School 120 Jackson St, Northampton (413) 587-1510|
|Registration Session 2||Wednesday March 2, 2022 from 2:30 pm – 5:30 pm||Leeds Elementary School 20 Florence Street, Leeds (413) 587-1530|
|Registration Session 3||Tuesday March 8, 2022 from 2:30 pm – 5:30 pm||Location: RK Finn Ryan Road School 498 Ryan Rd, Florence (413) 587-1550|
|Registration Session 4||Thursday March 10, 2022 from 2:30 pm – 5:30 pm||Location: Bridge Street School 2 Parsons Street, Northampton (413) 587-1460|
How to Register your child for Kindergarten:
- Fill out all the forms in the packet (this is a one-time process)
- Gather the necessary documents listed below
- Attend one of the Registration Session during our registration period Feb 28-March 11, 2022
- If you are not able to attend one of the sessions, please make an appointment with the registrar by following the calendar link below OR calling the Registrar
- Children are not required to attend but are welcome; activities will be provided
- Parents and children will need to wear a mask while in the school building
- If you are unable to acquire any of these items due to your circumstances, please contact the Registrar for additional support and assistance.
What to Bring:
- Child’s Birth Certificate A certified copy from City Clerk’s Office (not the hospital record)
- Health records (within one year) Mass School Health Record Form and immunization record
- Proof of residency: ONE of the following: mortgage statement, property deed, City Property Tax Bill, City Excise Tax Bill, City Water & Sewer Bill, Signed lease, Section 8 Agreement
- Proof of occupancy: recent utility bill for gas, oil, electric, home phone (not cell) or cable bill. Accepted alternatives: USPS Change of Address confirmation, paystub, bank statement, car registration or insurance bill, any correspondence from a government agency
- Photo ID of parent: preferably a MA Driver’s License or ID that shows your current address, passports accepted if you do not have a driver’s license
- If Applicable: Any court documents that name your child for example custody, name change, adoption if not final, etc.
All About Kindergarten
Kindergarten is a critical year for all children—a year of transition from preschool programs or home to formal schooling. Most children arrive in kindergarten filled with curiosity, wonder, and an enthusiasm to learn about themselves, others, and the world. We see our role and responsibility as nourishing this hunger for knowledge, motivating and challenging the children, while protecting and nurturing them.
The process of learning for children at this age is as important as performance and products. When children see themselves as competent learners, they tackle challenges with confidence, and develop attitudes and dispositions that encourage their curiosity and eagerness to learn. And, as research and common sense tells us, these skills and attitudes lay a solid foundation for future academic success.
In addition to inviting children to learn and grow, we want to invite families to partner with our schools. Parents are truly their child’s first and most important teachers and we encourage your involvement in your child’s education and school!
Northampton’s kindergarten curriculum is integrated across learning domains, always keeping the development of the whole child at its core. Children learn to take risks and solve problems, develop relationships, explore new concepts, acquire academic skills and knowledge, and enhance their physical, social, and emotional competence.
To accomplish these tasks, they need sufficient time to become involved in projects and investigations to satisfy their own interests. Therefore, our kindergarten day offers a balance of child-initiated and teacher-selected activities to enhance learning.
Children benefit from our rich, multi-sensory learning environments that support different learning styles and kinds of intelligence. They are able to acquire symbolic thought as they represent their ideas and knowledge through drawing, painting, block constructions, dramatic play, speaking, and writing.
Getting Ready for Kindergarten!
Starting kindergarten is a milestone in your child’s life. Is your child curious about what it will be like?
Eager to find out? Maybe a little nervous? Do you have questions about how to help your child with the transition?
The Collaborative for Educational Services has put together a booklet with information, tips, picture book recommendations and activities for you and your child to do together to help make the transition to kindergarten a positive experience.
There are many simple things you can do to help prepare your child, and you’re probably already doing a lot of them. Having conversations with your child, writing shopping lists, counting out apples at the grocery store, reading together every day, having play dates and encouraging exploration will help lay the foundation for a lifelong successful school experience.
- Information Nights for parents/caregivers – overview of our public full-day kindergarten program
- Classroom Observations – by appointment – opportunity for parents to be quiet classroom observers – may or may not be available winter 2021-22
- Late Feb-early March – kindergarten enrollment for resident students (current public school preschool students are already enrolled)
- Feb-March – parents can apply to the inter-school choice program (Open Enrollment) for the opportunity to attend outside of their home assigned school
- May – Buddy Day – a chance for rising k students to be matched with a buddy in an active classroom
- Springtime – kindergarten screenings – by appointment – families will be mailed a post card
- School Calendars approved and available on our website
- July – bus forms mailed home to all eligible children. Federal Free & Reduced Meals Applications available
- Summer months- finalizing classroom placements, enrollment of move-in students, fall planning
- August – play dates for all rising K students and their families on the school playground, staff avail to answer questions
- Teacher assignment and welcome to school letters mailed home (includes calendar, meals menu, nurse/health updates, school supplies)-Bus Info/Pass mailed home
- September – start of school getting to know you orientations for families with the K teacher
- October – open houses for families to visit the school and see student work and check in with teachers and staff
Classroom Observation Information
Details coming soon!
Details coming soon!