Principal Madden’s Weekly Update—Week of May 7
Our Valley Gives and Read-a-thon were a huge success!! Thank you to all who participated and donated to support our library. We will have an Open House in the library after we have purchased our new books!
Placement Plans for Next Year
It is hard to believe that I am starting to think about the 2018-2019 school year, but I wanted to let you know that we will conduct the process of class placement similarly to the way we did the last several years. Class placement decisions will be made by the end of this school year, and your child’s teacher for next year will be communicated to you with his/her end of year report card. Also, we plan to have a brief gathering of next year’s classes and teachers on the last day of school. We have found that this process eliminates some of the summer anxiety that can occur by waiting until the end of the summer. I have received positive feedback about the process from students, teachers, and families.
I will be working carefully with teachers to create class groupings that work well together and build positive, productive learning communities. Families cannot select teachers, and I certainly hope that we will all work well together to ensure a good year ahead for all of our students. All of the teachers at our school are committed to developing positive relationships and nurturing academic success. However, if you feel that you have necessary information to share with me before this process begins, please do not hesitate to contact me by Friday, May 25.
Photos this week show a walking group from our recent Walking Wednesday, some of our school marchers from the Pride Parade on Saturday, a water break at recess, Piggy and Gerald (from our dress as a book character day), and a kindergarten class giving thanks to our food service workers, Barbara, Kim, and Sarah.
Reminder: MCAS SPRING TESTING SCHEDULE (remaining dates)
Grade 3 (Math) May 9
Grade 4 (Math) May 8
Grade 5 (Math) May 10
Grade 5 (Science) May 15 and May 17
Other Important Upcoming Dates
- May 7-11: Staff Appreciation Week: Shannon Hicks is coordinating this event and could use some help, including Monday afternoon at clean-up time (2:45ish). Please let Shannon (firstname.lastname@example.org) know how you can help throughout the week.
- May 10: Spaghetti Supper at the Elks (with a carnival theme) to support our trips to Nature’s Classroom. There will be continuous seating from 5:30-7:00. Come enjoy a yummy dinner for a great cause!
- May 18: 12:20 Dismissal for Teacher Work Day
- May 23 and 24: Kindergarten Buddy Days (we welcome new kindergarten students for a visit!)
- May 24 at 6:30: Talent Show
- May 25 at 1:30: Memorial Day Celebration—Families and friends are welcome!
- June 8: Field Day
- June 9: Car Wash Fundraiser for Nature’s Classroom at Webber and Grinnell from 10-2. Come get your car cleaned for a great cause!
- June 19 at 1:30: 5th Grade Celebration
- June 20: Last Day of School with a 12:20 dismissal
I hope that all families feel welcome and comfortable at our school. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.
Sarah Madden, Principal
“Walking Wednesdays” every Wednesday in May!
Call the school office if you need information.