Principal Madden’s Weekly Update—Week of May 12
Photos this week show our record number of walkers for our Walking Wednesdays in May! We have been lucky to have nice weather on our Walking Wednesdays during this wet spring!
Also, Mr. Ted led a trip to the Vernal Pool with our 5th graders on Friday to observe and collect lots of different critters. They brought lots of muddy excitement back to the school and continued their studies for the rest of the afternoon.
***The Special Education Parent Advisory Council (SEPAC) is accepting nominations for Staff Appreciation Awards for the 2018-2019 School Year. Nominations are due by May 25.
The digital form is available at: https://forms.gle/zaXjhihVekFaa54k7
A printable one can be downloaded at: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1m6wO1yQ_DBRL5OXUKyxnwX1gSW6eiAzH
Placement Plans for Next Year
(repeated announcement—last reminder)
It is hard to believe that I am starting to think about the 2019-2020 school year, but I wanted to let you know that we will conduct the process of class placement similarly to the way we did the last several years. Class placement decisions will be made by the end of this school year, and your child’s teacher for next year will be communicated to you with his/her end of year report card. Also, we plan to have a brief gathering of next year’s classes and teachers on the last day of school. We have found that this process eliminates some of the summer anxiety that can occur by waiting until the end of the summer. I have received positive feedback about the process from students, teachers, and families.
I will be working carefully with teachers to create class groupings that work well together and build positive, productive learning communities. Families cannot select teachers, and I know that we will all work well together to ensure a good year ahead for all of our students. All of the teachers at our school are committed to developing positive relationships and nurturing academic success. However, if you feel that you have necessary information to share with me before this process begins, please do not hesitate to contact me by Friday, May 17.
Important Upcoming Dates
• May 15: PTO at 6:30
• May 17: Early Dismissal at 12:20 (Teacher Work Day)
• May 21 and 22: Kindergarten Buddy Days (we welcome new kindergarten students for a visit!)
• May 24 at 1:30: Memorial Day Program (all classes will present)
• May 27: Memorial Day Parade—Do you want to join us for marching?
• May 29 5:30-7:00 Kindergarten Potluck (incoming and outgoing kindergarten families).
• June 7: Field Day
• June 12, 2:00-2:50: Celebrate Nature! We will have a celebration highlighting some of our environmental work collaborating with Mr. Ted from the Hitchcock Center. Please join us from 2:00-2:50 to see exhibits in classrooms!
• June 13 at 1:30: 5th Grade Celebration
• June 14: Last day of school! Early dismissal at 12:20
Remaining MCAS Testing 2019 Dates
Grade 5 (Science)
May 14 and May 16
I hope that all families feel welcome, comfortable, and valued at our school. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.
Sarah Madden, Principal