Principal Madden’s Weekly Update—Week of March 4
March Greetings! Winter is certainly still here, but spring is around the corner!
• Reminders: Internet Safety – The internet puts more resources at our fingertips than ever before. Due to the wealth of information accessible online, both good and bad, it’s important to understand different ways we can make the internet safer. One website that provides a variety of internet safety resources for parents is Common Sense Media. For example, they have produced, A Parents Ultimate Guide to YouTube, A Parent’s Ultimate Guide to YouTube Kids, and YouTube Alternatives. These resources contain steps to add content filters and parental controls, to reduce the chance of exposure to inappropriate content. For more information on safety tips, as well as discussion starters click here!
• Coming Soon (Saturday, April 6: Our own local partners in healthy eating, together with Mistelle Hannah, NPS Food Services Director, are sponsoring the following event:
The first annual Northampton Farm to School Summit will bring together stakeholders and enthusiasts interested in connecting kids to healthy food and local farms in the school environment. Northampton Public Schools have made great progress with school gardens and cooking workshops at the elementary level, and local procurement for school food, but there is much more we can do. At this gathering we will come together to learn about current successes and challenges, gather input, and create a unified vision for how to take this work forward.
Click on the link below to learn more and register.
Wonderful Read Across Ryan Road! Check out the fun photos. What a nice tradition here at our school!
March is Music in the Schools Month—School Concert: March 19 at 9:30
Our students are preparing for their participation in our annual concert. Each class meets once a week with our wonderful music teacher, Ms. O’Connell. Some of their learning will be showcased on March 19 at 9:30. Please join us if you are able.
The PTO will also have Ryan Road Gives Day on the concert day to raise funds for an upgraded sound system in our gym/auditorium and a new school sign by the road. Please donate if you are able. Thank you!
If you missed the Science Night Information Night, you can still make a project. Tri-folds and information are in the school office. You do not have to do a project to have fun at science night, but creating a project is fun, too! Science Night is March 12 at 6:30.
Questions? Contact parent, Kate Lepore at:
firstname.lastname@example.org or (413) 539-4159
Important Upcoming Dates
• Tuesday, March 5: Kindergarten Registration at school 3:30-6:00
• Wednesday, March 6: School Outreach to Florence Heights 3:30-4:30
• March 7 6:30-8:00: New Student Parent/Guardian Information at JFK
• Tuesday, March 12 at 6:30: Science Night
• Friday, March 15: Early Dismissal (12:20) for Teacher Work Day
• Tuesday, March 19: Spring Concert at 9:30
• Tuesday, March 19 Ryan Road Gives Day (make a donation to the PTO!)
• Thursday, March 28: Family Game Night! 6:00-7:00
MCAS Testing 2019 Dates
Grade 3 (ELA)
April 3 & April 10
Grade 4 (ELA)
April 2 & April 9
Grade 5 (ELA)
April 4 & April 11
Grade 3 (Math)
May 1 & May 8
Grade 4 (Math)
April 30 & May 7
Grade 5 (Math)
May 2 & May 9
Grade 5 (Science)
May 14 and May 16
I hope that all families feel welcome, comfortable, and valued at our school. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.
Sarah Madden, Principal