Well, the news keeps evolving about schools and COVID! I hope you have heard that the Board of Education voted to give Commissioner Riley the authority to determine when hybrid and remote models will no longer count as school days. Last week, the Commissioner announced that elementary schools must transition to full-time, in-person instruction five days per week starting Monday, April 5, 2021 and that middle schools must begin full-time, in-person instruction five days per week, starting Wednesday, April 28, 2021. A deadline for the resumption of fully in-person learning at the high school will be announced shortly.
As the new requirements take effect, caregivers have the opportunity to choose to have their children attend fully in-person or fully-remote learning. Hybrid learning will not be an option once the new requirements become effective. Family surveys were sent on Friday and are due before this coming Friday. Call the office if you have any questions.
A question I have already received quite a bit is what the school hours will be when we return, on April 5th. They will be 8:30 (adult supervision starts on the playground), 8:50 school begins, and 3:00 dismissal (just like the pre-COVID days!).
Here is the survey again if you need it.
Elementary Schools Survey:
I will share more information as the transition to full time in-person learning evolves.
• This week’s photos show morning breakfast outside (that has been going very well—remember it is free for anyone who wants it!), some first graders “monkeying around” on the playground, outdoor learning in our wonderful gazebo, some crocuses and sand play in our courtyard (hooray for spring!), and some kindergarten students enjoying some playtime in the mud! They were baking all sorts of delicacies. What fun!
From Forbes Library: Forbes Library now offers pick-up and delivery services of library materials to residents of Northampton, Leeds and Florence. Residents of any age with an underlying health condition or illness and anyone aged 65+ regardless of health status are eligible for this free service. Contactless deliveries are made within one week of request.
Knitting workshop for ages 9 and up, March 22 – May 3: Knit Together: A Zoom Knitting Workshop
2021-2022 School Year
• The 2021-2022 school calendar has been approved by the school committee. Here it is. Please note the change in school hours (in the lower left-hand corner) that were recently approved by the School Committee to allow for a later start for high school students.2021.2022.Calendar
• Looking for information about Kindergarten for the 2021-2022 School Year?
Also, I have had many questions about whether or not we are planning to have our kindergarten students in-person full time, and that is certainly our plan. We are all looking forward to a typical and spectacular start at Ryan Road School!
• And, information about the transition to JFK is also coming out.
Here is the caregiver letter from JFK. The letter includes information about our New Student/Caregiver Information Session Tuesday March 30th from 6:00-7:00pm
https://zoom.us/j/93026034701 Meeting ID: 930 2603 4701 Passcode: 054154
• The Northampton High School Football Team has been using our grounds after school starting at 3:30. I have let them know that we often have children playing on the playground after school and to not be swearing or speeding. Fingers crossed. Let me know if you have any concerns. They are very happy to be able to be playing again, and I wish them all the best.
Hybrid Information is here, if you need it.Information-Regarding-Hybrid-Learning UPDATED-Family_Student-Daily-Checklist-COVID-19-updated-.1.21.21-3
• If you have a Zoom issue during the day, the best thing to do is to call the office (587-1550) or email my Administrative Assistant, Vanessa Keillor. firstname.lastname@example.org
I would love to help, but I am often not at my computer, and I usually do not know how to help. Luckily, Vanessa is becoming a genius with this stuff!
• If you have a problem regarding your child’s chromebook, the plan going forward is listed here:
There are two options for caregivers, and if you need help with any of this, please call the school office (587-1550):
- Create a ticket for someone on IT to get back to you. The portal is at http://nps-support.northamptonit.info/support/tickets
- Schedule a drop off for replacement. You can schedule a time to come to James House (the IT office at 42 Gothic Street in Northampton). The appointments can get scheduled here, https://calendly.com/npschromebookrepair/chromebook-repair
Important Upcoming Dates:
• Friday, March 19: Report Cards are sent home
• Saturday, March 20: Vernal Equinox—Welcome Spring!
• April 5: Return to full in-person learning!
• April 19-23: Spring Vacation
Stay up to date (under normal circumstances or not!) with all of our school activities on our School Website’s Calendar!
I hope that all families feel welcome, comfortable, and valued at our school. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.
Sarah Madden, Principal