Principal Madden’s Weekly Message—Week of June 18, 2021
We have been through a lot together this year! Thank you so much for all your care and communication. I know that you have had to be incredibly flexible and patient, and you have welcomed teachers into your homes during remote learning. Thank you for sticking with it, even on the days you didn’t think you or your children could. Having most students back at school has filled me with great hope about what is to come next year. Our students are really doing well considering all the obstacles they have faced this year, and that is because of all the hard work we have put into their learning, together with you. Many, many thanks to you all.
• Report Cards and placement notes went home with your child today. Please let me know if you have any questions.
• If your child still has a school-issued chrome book or hotspot, please return these items to the IT Office at James House on Gothic Street. If you are unable to do that, bring them to the school (just call first to make sure someone is in the office).
2021-2022 School Year
• The 2021-2022 school calendar has been approved by the school committee. Here it is. Please note the change in school hours (in the lower left-hand corner) that were recently approved by the School Committee to allow for a later start for high school students.2021.2022.Calendar
Next year, our school hours will be 8:00-2:10.
• This week’s photos are from our wonderful (first time ever outdoors!) 5th Grade Celebration. It was fun and a beautiful day. These students will be missed at R.K. Finn Ryan Road School. I also included some recess and lunch fun for our final days.
RK Finn Times
• And, I’ve attached the fabulous R.K. Finn Times in case you missed it!R.K.-Finn-Times-June-2021
Northampton Summer Eats Program
• Information is included here regarding Northampton’s Summer Eats Program. I hope you are able to take advantage of this wonderful program.Summer-Eats-2021
5th Grade Nature Week
• I wanted to inform you that the district elementary schools have made the difficult decision to not attend Nature’s Classroom (as we have known and loved it) moving forward. For those of you who have been part of our community for many years, it has been a wonderful opportunity for our 5th graders to learn out in the wild up in Becket for 4 days and 3 nights. However, it has been getting hard to ensure that the trip is accessible to all students because of the overnight aspect, and we really have to make sure that all of our learning opportunities are inclusive for all. It was also getting difficult for teachers to commit to that much time away from their families.
So, looking ahead, we are working on plans for a 5th Grade Nature Week full of daily adventure, exploring science and nature in our region, and participating in team-building activities. They will have the opportunity to explore various places in the area. I understand that this will cause some great disappointment, especially for our 4th grade students and caregivers. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Important Upcoming Dates:
• Thursdays in August from 5:00-6:00: Kindergarten Playdates on the playground here at school! Flyer here!
• Thursday, September 2: First Day of School!
• Thursday, September 9: First Day of School for Kindergarten!
Summer at School
The office is generally open between 8:00 and 2:00. Please let us know if you need anything. And, if you ever want to meet with me during the summer, that is fine. I am always happy to see students and caregivers.
Stay up to date with all of our school activities on our School Website’s Calendar!
I hope that all families feel welcome, comfortable, and valued at our school. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.
Sarah Madden, Principal