Well, we are close to the finish line of this really challenging school year. We have been through a lot together! Thank you so much for all your care and communication. I know that you have had to be incredibly flexible and patient, and you have welcomed teachers into your homes during remote learning. Thank you for sticking with it, even on the days you didn’t think you or your children could. Having most students back at school has filled me with great hope about what is to come next year. Our students are really doing pretty well considering all the obstacles they have faced this year, and that is because of all the hard work we have put into their learning, together with you. Many, many thanks to you all.
All students/families will be expected to return their school-issued chromebooks and chargers at Ryan Road School on June 15th. Members of the technology department will be at school to collect the chromebooks similar to last summer when we handed them out. Any students/families who received a chromebook last summer or during this past school year will need to return them on June 15th.
If you child is part of a remote classroom, please return their chromebook after the last day of school on June 18th or 21st at James House on Gothic Street.
• This week’s photos show the 4th graders from Ms Simmons’ class using Piper Computer Kits to explore computer programming and electrical engineering in the Techknowledgey Lab, kindergarten engineers with their pinwheel creations in our field and enjoying water play in our courtyard, a second grader reader in his stump-built chair (those stumps have been made into all sort of things this spring!), and two things that helped us survive the heat wave—recess with the sprinkler and freeze pops from one of our custodian (Mr. Andrew Wernik). There is also a photo of two students reading our hot-off-the-press R.K. Finn Ryan Road Times! This fabulous newspaper (attached in PDF form) was the creation of our librarian, Jennifer Clarson, and this year’s 5th grade ELA teacher, Amy Sidoti.R.K.-Finn-Times-June-2021
Nature’s Classroom Plans
• I wanted to inform you that the district elementary schools have made the difficult decision to not attend Nature’s Classroom (as we have known and loved it) moving forward. For those of you who have been part of our community for many years, it has been a wonderful opportunity for our 5th graders to learn out in the wild up in Becket for 4 days and 3 nights. However, it has been getting hard to ensure that the trip is accessible to all students because of the overnight aspect, and we really have to make sure that all of our learning opportunities are inclusive for all. It was also getting difficult for teachers to commit to that much time away from their families.
So, looking ahead, we are working on plans for a 5th Grade Nature Week full of daily adventure, exploring science and nature in our region, and participating in team-building activities. They will have the opportunity to explore various places in the area. I understand that this will cause some great disappointment, especially for our 4th grade students and caregivers. Please let me know if you have any questions.
News from our Nurse
• Nurse Karen requests that any student medications be picked up on the last day of school. You can just stop by or call her to set up a time.
2021-2022 School Year
• The 2021-2022 school calendar has been approved by the school committee. Here it is. Please note the change in school hours (in the lower left-hand corner) that were recently approved by the School Committee to allow for a later start for high school students.
Next year, our school hours will be 8:00-2:10.
Important Upcoming Dates:
• Tuesday, June 15: Chromebook and Hot Spot Collection here at R.K. Finn RR! Please have your child bring their school-issued Chromebooks to school
• Wednesday, June 16 at 1:30: Outdoor 5th Grade Celebration (Rain Date Thursday, June 17).
• Wednesday, June 16 at 6:30: Last PTO Meeting for this year!
• Friday, June 18: Last day of School! 12:20 Dismissal
Report Cards and class placement for 2021-2022 go home with students. Students will have a short visit with their new class and teacher this morning.
• Thursdays in August from 5:00-6:00: Kindergarten Playdates on the playground here at school! Flyer here!
Summer at School
The office is generally open between 8:00 and 2:00. Please let us know if you need anything. And, if you ever want to meet with me during the summer, that is fine. I am always happy to see students and caregivers.
Stay up to date with all of our school activities on our School Website’s Calendar!
I hope that all families feel welcome, comfortable, and valued at our school. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.
Sarah Madden, Principal